Friday, February 04, 2011

Progress!

This evening involved a lot of gluing and clamping.  The back soundboard liner and rear bellyrail were glued into place as well as the front soundboard liner (although the manual neglects to tell you to do this) and the right cheek liner.  The only glitch, which is mildly concerning at the moment, is an ill-fitting middle bellyrail.  I had to sand the rear bellyrail down a bit (where it meets the spine) to get the middle bellyrail to fit at the correct angle.  I did not want to mess with sanding an angled surface.  It is entirely possible that the balance rail shifted a 16th of an inch when we were gluing and drilling, thus throwing the fit of the middle bellyrail off just enough to not fit properly.  It is the only piece that is not yet glued into place due to the fact that everything else needs to set up and dry before I tackle that.  I am hoping that a few taps with the rubber-tipped side of my stained glass hammer will be enough to bring it into line.  If not, I dunno...  At any rate, the light at the end of the tunnel known as Building the Case is within sight.  As soon as I get the middle bellyrail in place, I'll post a picture.